Corydon was settled in 1848 by Dr. John Dorsey, who opened the first store there with his brother William. In 1849, John became the first postmaster, and William laid out the town in 1850. It was incorporated in 1867. John’s wife, Patsy Atcherson Dorsey, is credited with having named the town for the shepherd hero in “Pastor Elegy,” a popular song of the day.
(Kentucky Place Names by Robert Rennick, © 1984 The University Press of Kentucky)